Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Eat and Lose Fat

Diets don't work! Once you're done with your high profile diet and return to your regular eating habits, that weight comes right back. To add insult to injury, this weight gain is usually more than what you lost. I've seen it happen so many times and the people are just flabbergasted at the results.

What most dieters don't understand that you must make a lifestyle change. You can eat and lose fat. Change your eating habits permanently if you want to maintain and healthy weight. Tie this in with a good exercise routine and you have a lifetime, winning combination.

The number one rule is to eat more frequently.

By eating 5 or 6 small meals per day, or eating 3 regular meals but having a couple of healthy snacks, your body does not get the opportunity to feel hungry. It helps to maintain a balanced blood sugar level. Your energy levels rise and it boosts your metabolism, helping you burn calories all day.

Limit high fat foods.

Notice, I said limit, not cut out all together. The human body uses fatty acids to do everything from building cell membranes to performing key functions in the brain, eyes, and lungs. But, if you eat too much fat, your body will store it. Try to stick with healthy fats such as those found in raw nuts, fish, and extra-virgin olive oil.

Eat slowly.

I've always been a slow eater and I've always left food on my plate. After dinner, I noticed that I always felt satisfied while others complained of bellyaches. It wasn't until adulthood that I learned that my slow eating was a big help in my maintaining my body weight. It takes your stomach roughly twenty minutes to signal your brain that it's full. Shoving food into your mouth quickly lead causes you to think to think you're still hungry and you eat more. By the time the message reaches the brain, you've stuffed yourself. Take your time, chew your food, and enjoy dinnertime conversation. Eating alone? Read a book while you're eating. This will you give time to realize when you're full.

Don't eat before going to bed.

You're body stores fat while you're sleeping. Try to have your last meal at least two hours before going to bed. I find that if I feel hungry before bed, drinking a large glass of water usually takes care of it. Or try a low/no calorie snack like celery.

No comments: